Unfortunately, stress plays a significant role in most of our lives. Hectic schedules, technology overuse, lack of sleep and countless other factors contribute to our feeling burnt out, cranky and, well, stressed! Luckily, we’re sharing three essential oils that can help you feel the peace and relaxation you’ve been craving.
Roman chamomile essential oil has been used for centuries, and its use dates all the way back to ancient Egypt, where it was used to promote wellness. Today, there are many methods to relieve the painful effects of stress using Roman chamomile oil. Here are a few of our favorites.
- Rub a drop of Roman chamomile oil in each palm. Breathe deeply for 10 seconds, alternating between breathing through your mouth and nose.
- Diffuse oil to create a calming environment.
- Add 4 drops of Roman chamomile oil to a 2-10% dilution. Then, pour the mixture into warm bath water and inhale deeply. Relax in water for at least 20 minutes. This method is especially helpful for those who struggle with insomnia and quieting their minds prior to sleep.
Eucalyptus oil has a rich history and is used throughout the world for diverse reasons. China used eucalyptus trees to produce paper, while Spain utilized eucalyptus trees for construction purposes. In addition to its versatility, eucalyptus is also fantastic at improving mental clarity and lessening feelings of stress.
If you need a midday boost, eucalyptus is the perfect pick-me-up. Its minty, refreshing scent can be utilized to increase productivity and mental alertness. Next time you’re feeling restless, reach for your eucalyptus oil.
- Apply topically in a 2-5% dilution, then take a short walk around the block. The combination of fresh air and eucalyptus’ potent scent can be invigorating.
- Massage into the skin (after dilution) to reprieve tense muscles caused by stress.
- Eucalyptus oil can greatly benefit tension headaches, which are a frequent side effect of stress. For relief, dilute 2-5% and apply it where your headache is causing you pain, such as your temples or the back of your neck.
Lavender oil is frequently mentioned in conjunction with stress relief, and for good reason! It is the most popular essential oil sold worldwide and has dozens of useful applications. Its energizing and soothing properties make it a must-have in your stress-relief arsenal.
- Inhale deeply from the bottle.
- Add a couple of drops to your pillow to promote a restful night’s sleep.
- Add three drops of lavender oil to an unscented carrier oil in 2% dilution. Massage it into your body after a long shower for a moisturizing and restorative effect.
The various applications of essential oils can be adapted to fit your unique stress relief needs. Instead of turning to unhealthy options when you’re feeling stressed, try essential oils for a natural and effective alternative. You can rest assured knowing that you won’t be causing yourself future stress by using more detrimental coping alternatives.