Relaxation, fun in the sun and time with loved ones are vacation highlights. Unfortunately, those positive aspects are often accompanied by sunburns, sleepless nights and stress. To counteract these woes, we’re sharing 10 essential oil tips to help you make the most of your vacation time.
Vacations can be wonderfully restorative, but they also can be stressful. The process of traveling (particularly in an airplane), packing and veering away from your normal schedule can be downright anxiety-inducing for some. By including essential oils such as Lavender, Eucalyptus, Peppermint and Roman Chamomile in your travel bag, you’ll be well-prepared if stress arises.
- For relief from tension headaches caused by stress, dilute the oil 2-5% and apply it where your headache is causing you pain, such as your temples or the back of your neck.
- Rub a drop of oil in each palm. Breathe deeply for 10 seconds, alternating between breathing through your mouth and nose.
- Carry a bottle of your favorite oil with you throughout your vacation and inhale deeply if stressful moments occur.
Soothe Inflamed Skin
The summer sun is beautiful, but it can wreak havoc on skin. Soothe sunburned skin with our Cooling Water Anti-Inflammatory Blend, which features Peppermint, Lavender, German Chamomile, Blue Tansy and several other pain-relieving oils.
- Mix with aloe vera gel and apply to skin directly.
- Add a few drops to a spray bottle filled with water and spray regularly to keep skin moist and cool.
Sweat is one of the body’s reactions to cool down. However, no one likes feeling sticky and sweaty. Try using Cypress essential oil, a natural astringent, to reduce sweating in hot, humid weather.
- Apply to areas where you are likely to perspire, such as the underarms and back.
- Mix 5 drops into a spray bottle of water. Spritz whenever you’re feeling excessively warm.
Many people struggle to get adequate sleep when they’re away from home. There are many essential oils that aid sleep, but if you only want to pack one on your vacation, we suggest Lavender.
- Pour 4 drops of Lavender oil in a 2-10% dilution into warm bath water and inhale deeply. Relax in water for at least 20 minutes.
- Add a few drops of lavender oil to your pillow prior to going to bed.
- Inhale deeply directly from the bottle.
These tips can improve your sleep, sunburn, sweat and stress woes so you can spend more time doing what your vacation is intended for -- relaxing!