- Botanical Name: Syzygium aromaticum L
- Country of Origin: Indonesia
- Extraction Method: Steam distillation
- Plant Part: Buds
- Aromatic Scent: Clove Bud Essential Oil smells spicy and rich like actual cloves
- Blends well with: Cinnamon Bark, Nutmeg, Citronella, Grapefruit, Lemon, Orange, Peppermint, Rosemary, and Rose
Clove oil is a very warming oil that can also numb oral tissue. Diffuse for added protection during the cold season or apply topically in 1-2% dilution.
Some natural dentists use clove to pack cavities or root canals when the patient needs to come back to finish their dental work.
The word clove comes from the Latin word clavus, meaning nail since the shaft and head of the clove bud resembles a nail. Cloves and nutmeg were among the most precious items of Europe in the 16th and 17th centuries, and they were worth more than their weight in gold.